[Openstack] Provider networks and manual ip management

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Sun Feb 10 21:22:00 UTC 2013

Hi Trevor,

sorry for the delay in the response.
It seems you want a L2-only network.
In theory, all you should do to achieve this is to not create a subnet
on your network.
Disabling DHCP on the subnet won't make any difference, since the
--enable-dhcp option only controls the IP address delivery mechanism,
not whether IPAM should be performed or not. However if you don't use
DHCP (and you do not have in place any other IP injection mechanism),
neither nova or quantum will configure IPs on your instances, and you
should be able to use your own allocation system, even if the IP
information reported from nova are then likely to differ from the
actual configuration.

Unfortunately, I seem to recall an issue in nova where the VIF was not
created at all if an instance was created on a network without a
subnet; however, I'm not informed on the current status of this issue.