[Openstack] [DevStack] Using create-stack-user.sh

Everett Toews everett.toews at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Dec 19 14:45:05 UTC 2013

Hey Sean,

Thanks for sharing this.

On Dec 19, 2013, at 5:41 AM, Sean Dague wrote:

> The crux being that devstack is really intended to be started from a
> non-priv user. There is nothing special about that user, you just add it
> and put it in you sudoers group.
>
> useradd -m -G sudo -s /bin/bash -p 'biguglyhashpassword value' stack
>
> Does this correctly on Ubuntu on a Rackspace cloud instance.
>
> I suspect part of the collision of expectations is the Rackspace public
> cloud isn't setting up the default user, but instead the root user.
> Which is an oddity for Ubuntu images. I've been writing some local
> automation around this recently, so been running into that.

I'd be interested in this "local automation" if your open sourcing it or blogging about it.

I wrote mine up at http://blog.phymata.com/2013/12/18/devstack-havana-on-the-rackspace-cloud/

It's geared towards newbies without a lot of automation skills so I keep everything manual. It'd be easy enough to automate though.

Cheers,
Everett