[Openstack] Dealing with Out of Date wiki pages

Tom Fifield tom at openstack.org
Wed Aug 28 03:06:01 UTC 2013

TL;DR - Obsolete page on the wiki? Consider moving it to the Obsolete
namespace.

Hi all,

Every now and again you encounter someone who's asking a question, or
trying to do an installation based on some information that was put on
our wiki in 2010

We've got a lot of stuff on there, and there are few people cleaning as
such right now - thanks to those who do!

=> A proposal: There's an "Obsolete" namespace on the wiki, and we move
pages there to graveyard them.

This is good because the "move" command on the wiki is available to all
users (not just admins, like delete is), and it's easier to restore bad
moves than page deletes.

Though, I think that just because a page is old, doesn't necessarily
mean it should be moved out - sometimes we need to refer to old
blueprint plans to see the history, and it's nice to look back at what
went on at the Austin summit. However, for pages that have information
that is actually incorrect and never going to be fixed, marking them
obsolete when you see them will result in a better experience for all :)

Alternative proposals and thoughts very welcome!!

Regards,

Tom