[Openstack] Intermittent connectivity problems from qrouter namespace

Mina Nagy Zaki mnzaki at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 10:38:35 UTC 2013

I'm using nova 2013.1.2 with quantum/neutron.

I have a router with a fixed net and an external gateway. There's
unexplained packet loss from the router's network namespace to the
VM's fixed IPs. I've seen it with ARP requests, ping requests, and
pretty much everything else. Sometimes they just don't go through for
a while. I've also seen a pattern of 2s, 1s, 0.5s ping times on the
first 3 packets, then normal ping times of <1ms.
VM -> external network traffic is working great though.

I've tried monitoring the OVS flows and they don't seem to change.
I've been tcpdumping the interfaces, and packets simply fail to make
it over the qbrXXXXX bridge sometimes.

Also, after a 'warm up' period of trying to ping the machines and
failing, once a few packets make it through it starts working
semi-reliably.

I'm lost. Where do I start with this????

--
Mina Nagy Zaki