[Openstack] hypervisor_type = QEMU even though KVM is installed and working

Daniel Ellison daniel at syrinx.net
Mon Aug 12 12:19:19 UTC 2013

On Aug 12, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Kevin Jackson <kevin at linuxservices.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
> in /etc/nova do you have a nova-compute.conf with libvirt_type=qemu in instead? If KVM wasn't working, it wouldn't fall back to QEMU so it must be mentioned somewhere.

Good thought! Unfortunately /etc/nova/nova-compute.conf contains:

    [DEFAULT]
    libvirt_type=kvm
    compute_driver=libvirt.LibvirtDriver

Thanks for the suggestion, though. It would have been a nice, neat answer. In fact, the only mention of QEMU anywhere in the /etc/nova directory is in rootwrap.d/compute-filters:

    qemu-nbd: CommandFilter, /usr/bin/qemu-nbd, root
    qemu-img: CommandFilter, /usr/bin/qemu-img, root

That's it. For completeness I'm running Grizzly on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (Precise Pangolin).