[Openstack] paas in openstack and forked cloudfoindry

Diane Mueller ActiveState dianem at activestate.com
Thu Sep 13 15:14:34 UTC 2012

frans,

The cloud foundry community has a number of vendors that have leveraged the CloudFoundry core in commercial offerings including ActiveState's Stackato and Vmware' cloudfoundry.com

The CloudFoundry PaaS project is a great example of an OpenPaaS - and, in all it's variations, cloudfoundry runs and scales wells on OpenStack. "Forks" and "extensions" to the core project are to be expected and encouraged

This is the "bazaar" effect of open source, the cloud foundry open source project has an active and vibrant Community - and makes it "open for business" as each variation meets the needs of different use cases. CloudFoundry.com is VMware's publicly hosted PaaS that offers a subset of the languages available in the Open Source code base. Stackato delivers the software for Enterprise Private Clouds to install and manage their own Private PaaSes on-premise. We obviously have added alot of additional functionality to make Stackato secure and enable it to be easy to deploy on-premise.

ActiveState's Stackato leverages cloudfoundry and a number of other open source projects in our commercial Private PaaS offering. We maintain API compatibility with CloudFoundry, we  contribute back to the project, we've open sourced our client and continue to enhance our offerings.

I'd encourage anyone in the OpenStack community to take a closer look at the cloud foundry project and get involved in helping to continue to ensure that it works well as an OpenPaaS for  OpenStack.

Diane Mueller

Sent from my iPad