[Openstack] [openstack-dev] Quantum vs. Nova-network in Folsom

Syd (Sydney) Logan slogan at broadcom.com
Wed Sep 5 20:59:56 UTC 2012

Backporting *would* duplicate work, by definition.

This is nothing new in the industry, the need to innovate and move forward is always at odds with the need to support legacy deployments.

Seems to me quantum is a bit of an inflection point in the life of this rather young platform, and should be considered a forcing function for those who were earlier adopters to move forward.  Here's why:

One of the strongest points of quantum (in the scope of this discussion) is that it is a decoupling from nova, which should make issues like upgradability easier (assuming good API management) because it introduces an abstraction layer + implementation encapsulation. I would argue that while it might be painful to upgrade now, doing so just to get the encapsulation that quantum provides now is reason enough to want to push forward, especially since the gulf between the two will only widen going forward.

This topic of upgrading is an interesting one (perhaps one already discussed, I'm still a noob). Devstack, as useful as it is, hasn't reached its potential -- imagine it being shipped with a set of schemas (localrcs) for various deployments styles, e.g., multi-node vs single node, VXLAN vs NVGRE, X vs Y vs Z, or maybe providing a tool something like make menuconfig, or (eventually) the ability to "size up" a prior deployment and seamlessly upgrade it to a version with not much, if any, user interaction, as one might experience in the majority of cases when upgrading Ubuntu LTS releases.   Worlds like this are going to be more easily implemented on top of a platform that has good API management, modularity, and encapsulation of its core components, and standardizations for how the metadata of a deployment is specified and recorded (/etc/nova/nova.conf, etc. probably already fill that role). Quantum seems to me to be a necessary (IMHO) step in that direction.

Just my two cents.

syd