[Openstack] Troubleshooting Swift 1.7.4 on mini servers

Nathan Trueblood nathan at truebloodllc.com
Tue Oct 30 22:48:51 UTC 2012

Ok, if I was giving out t-shirts for finding this issue then the prize
would go to Pete.   Thank you!!!!

Disabling fallocate did the trick.   I was slowly working my way through
all the object-server config options and hadn't gotten to that one yet.
Turning features on and off by brute force is admittedly lame, but
sometimes that's all you have.

I also turned off all the other things I was doing to try to slow down the
mini-servers, but disabling fallocate was all that was necessary.   Here is
my config:

[DEFAULT]
bind_ip = 192.168.1.202
workers = 1
disable_fallocate = true

[pipeline:main]
pipeline = object-server

[app:object-server]
use = egg:swift#object

[object-replicator]

[object-updater]

[object-auditor]

A few more details...

My servers are running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.   A straight-up apt-get of all the
pre-requisites did NOT produce a working Swift deployment on Arm.
Although  all the dependencies would deploy fine and the Swift services
would start up, the proxy-server could not communicate with the storage
nodes.

So I also had to get older, Armel versions of the python-greenlet and
python-eventlet.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/armel/python-greenlet/0.3.1-1ubuntu5.1
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/armel/python-eventlet/0.9.16-1ubuntu4.1

Once I deployed those older libraries for Armel, then my Swift cluster
worked (except for the fallocate issue).

Thanks for everyone's help.

-N