[Openstack] [ceilometer] Potential New Use Cases

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Fri Oct 26 08:29:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Oct 25 2012, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>> IIUC, what's need here is a GROUP BY operator in the API.
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is still doable via the API if you
>> request /users/<user>/meters/instance and treats the events in the
>> client, no?
>>

> It is possible, but very very inefficient.

Oh, sure it is. But adding feature and making things more efficient are
different things. :)

> Querying against arbitrary metadata fields is easy in the MongoDB driver,
> but not in the SQLAlchemy driver. Adding explicit handling for dimensions
> would let us implement it in SQL and improve performance with indexes in
> Mongo.

Ah, thanks to remind me how ORM are bad and that we now have to fight
against it. :)

I wish we could use JSON native type from PostgreSQL directly and be
efficient!

--
Julien Danjou
# Free Software hacker & freelance