[Openstack] Possible upgrade bug in nova-volume (& cinder)?

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Oct 24 22:32:33 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM, John Griffith
> <john.griffith at solidfire.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Jon,
> >
> > Couple of things going on, one is the volume naming (in progress here:
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14615/).  I'll take a closer look at
> some
> > of the other issues you pointed out.
>
> Hi John,
>
> On this issue I think the issue you link to above covers my problem
> (even if that exact implementation now seems abandoned).  So "the
> right thing" is to normalize all the naming on UUID in my case using
> lvrename (or symlinks as the patchset above does) and updating the
> cinder db provider_location.  What other issues did you see to look
> into?  Seems this covers everything I brought up here and the issues
> you helped me with on IRC earlier (thanks) seem like documentation
> issues (which I hope to get into the docs once I clean up my notes)
>
> -Jon

Hey Jon,

Cool... Yeah, I had intended for that patch to be a stable/folsom patch but
shouldn't have submitted it to master :(  The real problem isn't just
normalizing the lvm names, but also the provider_location information that
is stored in the DB for when you try to attach to your compute node.

The cinder version is the same (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/14790/)
and depending on the feedback it's a candidate for back-port.

The other possible issues that I've seen people run in to:
1. volumes directory not being specified correctly
2. not restarting tgtadm
3. not having the include statement in /etc/tgt/conf.d

I think you and I covered most of these in our chat on IRC earlier today...

One other thing that Vish pointed out is I made an assumption about
attached volumes that may result in you having to detach/reattach after the
upgrade.  I'm looking into that one now.

Thanks,
John