[Openstack] Need help in deploying Nova on ESXi 4.1 server with Vlan Networking mode

HemanthRao Doddikindi hemanthrao_doddikind at persistent.co.in
Sun Oct 14 15:18:48 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm trying to deploy Nova (Essex 2012.1) on Vmware ESXi 4.1 server. I did it using FlatDHCP networking mode and everything was working as expected. But now VlanManager compliants well to our requirements so thought of trying it. But when i use VlanManager for networking with ESXi, the newly booted machines are not getting IP address. The DHCP server does not seem to be accesible by the instances. My compute node is running on the ESXi itself and is using the same bridge to which the instances will be connected.

Following is the snippet of my nova.conf:

--connection_type=vmwareapi
--vmwareapi_wsdl_loc=http://xx.xx.xx.xx:8080/wsdl/vim25/vimService.wsdl
--vmwareapi_host_ip=xx.xx.xx.xx
--vmwareapi_host_password=password_here
--vmwareapi_host_username=root

--vmware_vif_driver=nova.virt.vmwareapi.vif.VMWareVlanBridgeDriver

--vmwareapi_vlan_interface=vmnic1 #vmnic1 is used to provision the instances and the compute is also connected to vmnic1

Has anyone worked with ESXi with Vlan mode of networking?

Regards,

Hemanth Rao D

DISCLAIMER