[Openstack] metadata api with Quantum and provider networks

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Oct 8 16:24:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM, Jānis Ģeņģeris <janis.gengeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When using provider networks in Quantum, where should the metadata service
> rule mapping (e.g. 169.254.169.254:80 -> metadata_server:metadata_port) must
> be set?
>
> For example, for floating IPs l3-agent handles this, but for provider
> networks router is not used. I tried to set custom iptables rule for this,
> but have a hard time understanding where to set it, as there is openvswitch
> and namespaces.
>
> I'm using provider network configuration with VLANs.

You actually could use the Quantum L3 router as your gateway even if
VMs are on a provider network, but I suspect your question is actually
more along the lines of: if I want my gateway to be a physical router
not managed by Quantum, how do I does the DNAT rule for metadata get
applied?  In this case, you need to apply the DNAT rule manually to
the physical router, which I believe is the same as if you were using
flat networking with Nova with a physical router.

There may also be a more complex solution achievable via quantum in
which the provider creates a quantum router with an interface on the
provider network, VMs are each given a host route to route traffic
destined for 169.254.169.254/32 to this quantum router IP, rather than
the physical default gateway, and this quantum router performs the
DNAT.  However, its probably much easier to just apply this rule to
your physical router.

Dan

> Regards,
> --janis