[Openstack] nova-compute on Controller Node

Gui Maluf guimalufb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:03:45 UTC 2012

Ahmed,
in my set up controller is a node too. if your controller is capable of
doing that, there is no harm, its ok.
there is no need to put any service together with each other. so you may or
not put nova-volume in compute nodes. you can dedicate a whole node to
serve only nova-volume. depends on your set up. I think now with Cinder,
volume things will be more clear!

I had an ideia once that was using controller node as virtual machine. I
don't know if anyone ever tried this out, if yes I would like to know!

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Ritesh Nanda <riteshnanda09 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ahmed,
>
>      You would not need to install nova-compute on the controller node ,
> nova-compute is just used to provide you computational power for vm's , so
> on that node where you want to host your virtual machines install
> nova-compute on that node.On controller there would be only
> nova-api,nova-scheduler,keystone.
> nova-scheduler there on the controller would decide on which compute node
> will your vm gets provisioned.
> Hope this answers your question.
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi <ahmed at coraid.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am following the steps in "OpenStack Install and Deploy – Red Hat
>> Ubuntu" document to setup setup the controller node (
>> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/install/apt/content/installing-the-cloud-controller.html
>> ).  Do I need to install nova-compute on the controller node?  Maybe there
>> is no harm, but my understanding is nova-volume needs to be installed on
>> all Compute Nodes.  Is that right?   If so, in that case can I skip
>> installing nova-compute on the Controller Node without any side effects.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Ahmed.

> --
>
> * With Regards