[Openstack] [Nova] used_max -vs used_now resources?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Mon Nov 26 02:21:16 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I'm trying to make sense of 'nova-manage service describe_resource' output
from Folsom running on Ubuntu 12.04 with KVM back end.

I'd thought used_now accounted for running resource use and used_max
included reservations that had not yet been instantiated.  That assumption
seemed to match what I saw under Essex.

now I have situations like this:

HOST                              PROJECT     cpu mem(mb)     hdd
nova-3          (total)                        24   48295     605
nova-3          (used_now)                    140  287232    3400
nova-3          (used_max)                      4    8192      90
nova-3                   956ae20bbb444a8c8f149729198aec63       4
8192      90

where "used_now" is wildly higher than it seems it should be.  looking on
the compute node itself verifies there are 4 single vCPU instances running
there.

On a different system reporting a high "used_now" but zero actually running
instances I tried rebooting the compute node hoping to clear state (since
the node pushes these numbers to the database correcting them there doesn't
work).  On reboot it came up claiming over 160 cpus in use.

Is this a bug, a misconfiguration, or a misunderstanging?

Thanks,
-Jon