[Openstack] Quantum networking question..

gong yong sheng gongysh at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 22 01:25:13 UTC 2012

On 11/22/2012 08:23 AM, Ahmed Al-Mehdi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about setting up Quantum, following the steps
> described by Bilel Msekni (
> https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Folsom-Install-guide/blob/master/OpenStack_Folsom_Install_Guide_WebVersion.rst
> ), which uses 3 NICs.
> (Similar document/setup is also described by OpenStack.org also -
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/16096/ )
>
> Based on the node diagram in Bilel's document, I understand why eth0
> needs an IP address that is accessible to internet.  However,
>  - Why does eth1 need an IP address, since it will be used for VM
> network?
>  - Why does eth2 not need an IP address (set to 0.0.0.0) since it is
> connected to the internet.
>
> In my setup, I set an IP address to eth0 through my corp. DHCP server.
>  Can I similarly assign an IP address to the other eth port (be it 1
> or 2) that needs connection to the internet?

eth1 should not have IP since it will be added into br-eth1. If you want
eth1 have IP, you can move the ip to br-eth1:
sudo ip addr <ip> dev br-eth1
sudo ifconfig br-eth1 up
eth2 is connected to br-ex bridge. If u don't need the host to access
the internet via eth2, there is no need to assign an IP to eth2 or br-ex
the VM's will be able to access the internet via br-ex, which is via
eth2 in turn to access internet.

You can assign an IP to br-ex so that your host can use it.