[Openstack] Ceph + Nova

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software.at
Wed Nov 21 09:03:07 UTC 2012

Not being a nova expert, and not using ceph with nova, I can tell you
that I've been testing ceph extensively and it seems to be like 'the
thing made for nova'. it seems stable, it is reasonable fast and the
features are unbeaten. but I wouldn't use it for hosting qemu-images in
/var/lib/nova/instances, glusterfs would be better suited in that
respect. I've tested it as a block device fully integrated into libvirt.

give it a try!

wolfgang

On 11/21/2012 09:37 AM, JuanFra Rodríguez Cardoso wrote:
> Hi everyone:
>
> I'd like to know your opinion as nova experts:
>
> Would you recommend CephFS as shared storage in /var/lib/nova/instances?
> Another option it would be use GlusterFS or MooseFS for
> /var/lib/nova/instances directory and Ceph RBD for Glance and Nova
> volumes, don't you think?
>
> Thanks for your attention.
>
> Best regards,
> JuanFra

DI (FH) Wolfgang Hennerbichler
Software Development
Unit Advanced Computing Technologies
RISC Software GmbH
A company of the Johannes Kepler University Linz

IT-Center
Softwarepark 35
4232 Hagenberg
Austria