[Openstack] Networking issues for openstack on XCP

Yan Zhai zhaiyan920 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 05:33:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

   I am trying a proof of concept install of openstack on xen cloud
platform. However, I am a little confused about the network part in Folsom.
   My architecture:
     1 Controller node: no Xen, only Ubuntu 12.04, everything for openstack
service except for nova-compute
     2 Compute node: XCP 1.6 beta, with nova-compute in special domU
(Ubuntu 12.04), xenapi plugin installed in dom0 already
     each node has two NIC, one with public IP (Only limited floating IP),
and another in private network (Any IP is OK)

   My goal for network:
     flat network or flat dhcp network. I want to use eth0 for public
traffic and service request, and eth1 for inter-vm traffic.

   My questions:
     1.) does each domU need nova-network running? My understanding is it's
OK to run nova-network individually, but then how to mange the floating IP
globally?
     2.) in document for flatdhcp network, I saw four interfaces for each
management domU. Is it OK to have only two interfaces? Say,
          eth0-xenbr0 for public IP and services, and eth1-xenbr1 for VM
network?
     3.) Is the network isolation rules a must for test install? I found
the patch to vif is still for xenserver 5.6_p2, and can not be applied to
vif of xcp 1.6 or xenserver 6.1, which might be a trouble.

   If anyone could help me kindly, it will be quite appreciated, I have
been stuck with install document for several days.

thanks a lot!
- Yan