[Openstack] nova-volumes problem after host reboot

Ronivon Costa ronivon.costa at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 17:25:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

Had some improvement with this issue.

Could boot the instance using virsh, following livemoon advice with small
adaptation.
However the problem still is not fixed.

The volume table was update:
  mysql -unova -p$PW nova -e "update volumes set mountpoint=NULL,
attach_status='detached', instance_uuid=0"
  mysql -unova -p$PW nova -e "update volumes set status='available' where
status <> 'error_deleting'"

Restarted the instance:
# virsh undefine instance-00000038
error: Refusing to undefine while domain managed save image exists

# virsh undefine instance-00000038 --managed-save
Domain instance-00000038 has been undefined

# virsh define libvirt.xml
Domain instance-00000038 defined from libvirt.xml

# virsh start instance-00000038
Domain instance-00000038 started

Then I update the database with the new instances status:
# mysql -unova -p nova -e "update instances set
power_state='1',vm_state='active',task_state=NULL where uuid =
'7e732b31-2ff8-4cf2-a7ac-f1562070cfb3'"

I can now connect to the instance. That is a great improvement from my
original problem.

But there still some serius issues to fix:

The instance can not be rebooted (hard reboot). It will not start, with the
same errors as before.
Also, we can not attach the volume back to the instance:
# nova volume-attach 7e732b31-2ff8-4cf2-a7ac-f1562070cfb3
647db677-aa48-4d1e-b875-80be73469cb5 /dev/vdc
ERROR: The supplied device path (/dev/vdb) is in use.
The error is: DevicePathInUse: The supplied device path (/dev/vdb) is in
use.

/dev/vdb is one ephemeral disk. Why nova is trying to use /dev/vdb when I
specified /dev/vdc ?