[Openstack] Question about pv mode on compute and network

John Garbutt John.Garbutt at citrix.com
Fri Nov 9 11:55:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

Sorry I missed this, I am still behind on my email.

In the current model every XCP node gets a VM with nova-compute running on it, and it must be a linux PV VM.

That node does several management tasks. For example, with raw images, it will stream the image into a VDI attached to that VM. In the current world, you need to be a PV VM for the hotplug of that volume to be allowed. So, to cut a long story short, yes, it needs to be a PV VM.

I noticed some storage questions. Generally you should have a single local SR of type EXT on each of your XCP hosts. Hopefully that is all covered in the Admin guide. Let me know if anything is confusing, and I will update the guide to help clarify things.

If you want "shared storage" you need to look towards using Cinder. So attaching volumes, doing boot-from-volume, and other such things. Right now we have support for things that produce iSCSI targets, and some NFS shared storage support is just dropping into Grizzly over the next week or so.

I hope that helps,
John