[Openstack] OpenNebula and Swift integration

Javier Fontan jfontan at opennebula.org
Tue Nov 6 11:07:05 UTC 2012

Hello,

We recently had interest from some of our enterprise users to use
Swift Object Store as the backend for the VM images. I have been
researching on a possible integration with OpenNebula but I have some
questions.

AFAIK Swift is only Object Store and exposes the object through a REST
interface. Is there any plan to add block storage support like Ceph so
VMs can use the objects directly?

We would love to have the same users and permissions in both
OpenNebula and Swift so the management is only done in one place. It
seems that the "TempAuth" system is the way to go to perform this
authentication. Is it going to be supported in the future or is it
going to be dumped in favor of just Keystone?

Are the object ACLs stored within Swift? Can I provide the object ACLs
from the Auth subsystem (OpenNebula in this case)? I plan to map Swift
objects to OpenNebula Images and they already have ACLs in place.

Cheers

--
Javier Fontán Muiños
Project Engineer