[Openstack] [quantum] Relationship between br-int and physical bridge mapping in OVS plugin

Vinay Bannai vbannai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 05:57:34 UTC 2012

I have a multi node setup. The CC controller doubles up as the quantum
server and also has the l3 agent and DHCP. I have configured OVS as my
L2 plugin with vlan tunneling. On the compute nodes, I see that in
addition to having the integration bridge (br-int) you will also need
the ovs physical bridge (br-th1) with the physical ether port eth1 as
a member. I am wondering about the relationship between br-int and
br-eth1 bridges. Wouldn't it make sense to add eth1 port to the
integration mode. Why have two bridges on the compute node for VMs to
talk to other VMs in the same tenancy over the physical network?
I am sure I am missing something in my understanding so would
appreciate any comments or explanations.

Thanks
Vinay