[Openstack] [OpenStack][Nova] deference between live-migration and migrate

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Thu May 31 18:29:07 UTC 2012

On 5/31/2012 2:10 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:

> On May 25, 2012, at 2:36 AM, John Garbutt wrote:
>
>> I have been meaning to draft a blueprint around this.
>> What we have today:
>> ·Migrate: move a VM from one server to another, reboots across the
>> move (I think) and destination is picked by scheduler
>> ·LiveMigration: move a VM form one server to another, VM doesn't
>> appear to reboot, need to specify the destination
>> I propose we extent the Migrate API (thinking about nova CLI here
>> really) to include:
>> ·Optional Flag to force non-live migration, default to live migration
>> ·Optional destination host, by default let the scheduler choose
>> ·Deprecate the existing live migration API and CLI calls
>> What do people think?
>
> +1
>
> Keep in mind that we actually have three options:
>
> live migration on shared storage
> live migration without shared storage (block migration)
> resize/migrate
>
> Yun actually suggested that resize/migrate be simplified to do the
> following instead of scping the file over:
>
>  * snapshot to glance
>  * boot new image from snapshot
>
> This would definitely simplify the code, unfortunately it could have
> billing/metering repercussions.
>
> Vish

I don't think it is documented that you need to set up ssh with
credentials between compute nodes to make resize and block migration
work. I also heard something
about there being a more secure way to do this than setting up ssh in
this way. What is the "officially recommended" way to configure compute
nodes for these operations?

  -David