[Openstack] Please help me understand the concept of nova instances paths

Jake Smith jake at xz.cx
Mon May 21 09:48:30 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am setting up an OpenStack lab, and I am hoping someone can help me
with a concept I'm having trouble grasping. I have a simple setup with a
controller running keystone, glance, volume, dashboard etc. A single
compute node, running compute and network and I have a nexenta SAN
server for iSCSI volumes. I am using libvirt_type=kvm.

My setup is working fine, I can start instances, create iSCSI volumes
and attach them to instances. What I don't understand is the logic
behind the compute instances_path. When I start a new instance a root
and ephemeral disk is created, but on the local disk of the compute
node, set to instances_path=/var/lib/nova/instances. This seems to be by
design, but I don't understand why this would be if I could utilize my
san server for the root disk. If I am correct in understanding this, the
root disk is persistent and the ephemeral is not, so any changes made to
ephemeral disk are expected to be lost at some point. However in the
event that my physical compute node were to crash and the instance
started on another compute node any changes to the root disk are lost
until I can recover the crashed node.

I can see that I have an option to boot from a volume, but the volume
must be first manually created and then, from what I understand, I have
to populate the volume myself using dd or something similar. Can this
not be done using the glance image store like it does when it uses the
local instance path?

In my ideal setup the compute nodes would have very minimal local block
devices (maybe diskless) and get almost all of their storage via iSCSI
LUNs. Is the only way around this to manually setup an iSCSI LUN for
each compute node and mount it at, instances_path=/path/to/iscsi/mount?
When I did some googleing about this I fond a post suggesting that one
could use an NFS share for the instances path, I would prefer not to use
NFS if I can avoid it.

How do other people manage similar setups, do most people just use
local disks for the instance path? I feel like I must be missing
something in my thinking. Does any one do as I suggested above or am I
thinking about this all wrong?

Many thanks for your time and any help!

Kind Regards
Jake