[Openstack] About openstack common client

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Fri May 18 14:17:32 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Bogott <abogott at wikimedia.org>wrote:

>  On 5/18/12 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:
>

> Hi,
> I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient
> https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclient and other clients.
> Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client,
> keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?
>
> My understanding (and hope) is that ultimately there will be a separation
> between shell interfaces and REST interfaces.  Openstackclient will
> implement the commandline, and the other clients (python-novaclient,
> python-glanceclient, etc.) will provide python APIs for REST clients, of
> which openstackclient is one.

That is also my understanding of The Plan.

> by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it
> seems it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to
> implement two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be in
> openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.
>
> I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped
> out.  We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly discourage
> development on those shell commands though.

I'm waffling on agreeing with you here. It is true that (AFAIK) we aren't
set up for packaging builds yet for semi-official installations (i.e., not
using devstack), but I would like to have people who are more familiar with
the other command line programs contributing to the common client, too.

Doug