[Openstack] What the flag connection_type stands for ?

Chuck Short chuck.short at canonical.com
Wed May 16 20:36:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, 16 May 2012 17:29:35 +0200
Razique Mahroua <razique.mahroua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> what in nova.conf connection_type stands for ?
>
> I only found that info
>   http://nova.openstack.org/api/nova.virt.connection.html#module-nova.virt.connection
> "This could benova.virt.fake.FakeConnection
> <http://nova.openstack.org/api/nova.virt.fake.html#nova.virt.fake.FakeConnection>in
> test mode, a connection to KVM, QEMU, or UML vialibvirt_conn, or a
> connection to XenServer or Xen Cloud Platform viaxenapi. "
>
> I've only been able to make nova-compute register itself to
> nova-scheduler only after I set
> --connection_type=fake
>
> while I use qemu that libvirt connects to. When that flag was set
> connection_type=libvirt, I was unable to spawn a qemu instance
> (ttlyinux) with connection_type=fake it work
>
> thanks guys
> Razique

Hi,

In order to use libvirt on a nova-compute node, you have to use
--connection_type=libvirt, assuming that you want to use something
other than kvm (assuming if your vm doesnt support kvm), you have to add
the addtional flag --libvirt_type=qemu. Otherwise it will default to
kvm if you use connection_type=libvirt. Also looking at the log file for
libvirt-bin (/var/log/libvirt) also would help.

Regards
chuck