[Openstack] Heat API v3 released!

Chris Alfonso calfonso at redhat.com
Tue May 15 18:46:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

Heat is a AWS CloudForm API implementation for OpenStack.  The purpose
of the software is to orchestrate resources (including virtual machines,
networks, storage) into a running cloud application.  The software
converts an AWS template into native OpenStack API calls and provides a
REST API to access the template (called a stack).  Our development
community has been busy over the last 3 weeks working on our third
release.  New in this release is:

+ cloudformation (cfn) tools for high availability orchestration - monitors and restarts services and VMs if they fail
+ mysql database setup for for rpm/.deb based installations
+ file and sources support in cfn-init
+ WaitCondition support - to allow synchronization of resource starting
+ additional template support - try out a highly available  set of VMs and a rails stack
+ unit test framework to support futher development - run the unit tests without any dependency services running
+ unit tests for stacks, resources, cfntools, validation, and more
+ pep8 and virtual environment compliance
+ usability improvements
+ bug fixes

The references to cfn-* is explained here:
https://github.com/heat-api/heat/tree/9de4d852dcc484485df5a47a17092f186fed3d1e/heat/cfntools