[Openstack] Opening up bug triaging rights

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 15 14:56:07 UTC 2012

Brian Waldon wrote:
> While I agree we need to make a better effort at triaging our bugs (some projects more than others), I'm hesitant to fully open up bug triaging rights to everyone. I doubt everyone who would start clicking those buttons have enough information to make the right decisions. This is similar to why we have *-core teams - while that is a bit of a higher risk situation, it's the same concept.

I understand your concern. At that session the room was filled with
people wanting to help with triaging, which obviously stacked the deck
in favor of opening up the teams. Adding more people to the teams was
also prompted by the need to give more people the ability to nominate a
bug for backporting (which is also a bug supervisor right, while
accepting a nomination is a project driver right).

For Nova, I really think we need a lot more triagers if we want to touch
all incoming bugs. I set up instructions [1] but I never managed to go
beyond step 4. After I stopped doing routine triaging, the number of
untriaged bugs [2] skyrocketed, despite the efforts of a small number
(including you). The end result is an unusable list of open bugs, which
in turn results in a quality drop (worst issues not addressed or
addressed too late).

[1] http://wiki.openstack.org/BugTriage
[2] http://webnumbr.com/untouched-nova-bugs

How do we fix that ? I agree that there is some risk with incompetent
triagers, but I thought the benefit outweighed the risk. And with good
documentation, the risk is limited. Alternative solutions include:

a. Only open specific projects, to avoid introducing risk in
already-well-triaged projects (but would result in confusion ?)

b. Have someone (chief triager) review applications of proposed members
(but who would do it ? and what would be the objective criteria for
acceptation ?)

c. Keep it as a PROJECT-core only duty, and create regular triaging
activity for core members (preventing other devs from helping or
nominating bugs for backports)

Thoughts ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)