[Openstack] xcp+quantum+vlans= not working security groups

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon May 14 17:27:51 UTC 2012

Hi Roman,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Roman Sokolkov <rsokolkov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,folks!
>
> We use XCP + quantum + tenant vlans . One XCP box and one Ubuntu 12.04
> box(controller). Nova-compute host it is domU on XCP. Boxes connected with
> patch-cord and we able to use VLANs inside.
>
> There are problems with security groups. They not work at all.
>
> We
> use firewall_driver=nova.virt.xenapi.firewall.Dom0IptablesFirewallDriver.
> And I see expected iptables rules on Dom0, but without any profit. As I
> understand iptables couldn't work with L2 openvswitch traffic?

Nova's existing security group implementation isn't compatible with all
Quantum plugins, as Quantum plugins can use different technologies to
implement packet filtering.  In Folsom-2, we're targeting a security groups
framework within Quantum that will let Quantum plugins provide their own
security group implementations (including, but not limited to using
iptables).

Dan

> --
> Regards, Roman Sokolkov