[Openstack] [Netstack] About python versions that we are planning to support

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Wed May 9 16:07:32 UTC 2012

[I'm moving this thread to the openstack list because it potentially
impacts openstack-common.]

On 05/07/2012 11:53 PM, Maru Newby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Python 2.4 compatibility is required, but only for agent code.  Agent
> code needs to be deployable on Xen dom0, which uses CentoOS 5.5 and only
> supports 2.4 out of the box.

Maru,

I'm very concerned about the potential of this XenServer/XCP requirement
to interfere with making the various Quantum agents first-class
OpenStack services by utilizing current and future openstack-common
facilities for configuration, logging, DB, RPC, etc.. Are there any
other possible ways forward here? How is the nova compute service
currently handled for XenServer? Could a fully supported version of
python be parallel-installed on dom0? Could the actual quantum agent run
somewhere else and remotely execute commands on dom0? Or does the python
2.4 compatibility requirement need to be applied to openstack-common?

Thanks,

-Bob