[Openstack] nova-manage quota --headroom

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 15:18:08 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 09:36 AM, Eoghan Glynn wrote:
> Folks,
>
> One thing that's been on my wishlist since hitting a bunch of
> quota exceeded issues when first running Tempest and also on
> the Fedora17 openstack test day.
>
> It's ability to easily see the remaining headroom for each
> per-project quota, e.g.
>
>   $ nova-manage quota --headroom --project=admin
>   instances:    10  (of which 1 remaining)
>   floating_ips: 10  (of which 8 remaining)
>
> This would give an immediate indication of an impending resource
> starvation issue - "shoot, I'll have to clean out some of those
> old instances before spinning up two more, else increase the quota".

That would be seriously useful.

> It would only really be useful for quotas that represent a
> threshold on overall resource usage that may grow or shrink over
> time, as opposed to some fixed limit (think, max instances versus
> max injected files per instance).

Sure, yes.

> So the question is whether there's already a means to acheive this
> in one fell swoop?

Well, Horizon, in the launch instance modal dialog does show similar
information. See attached screenshot. That dialog uses a call to the
contrib/simple_usage extension of the compute API [1][2][3]

> And if not, would it be best tracked with a small-scale nova blueprint,
> or as an enhancement request expressed in a launchpad bug?

I think a small-scale blueprint is appropriate at this time -- and you
can get signoff for it at the design summit (in a "rubberstamp session").

Basically, you could take any of these approaches:

a) Modify the simple_usage extension to return information about the
quotas along with the usage information

b) Make a new extension to the API that marries the usage with the quota

c) Make a new novaclient call that exposes the married information

Cheers!
-jay

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/horizon/blob/master/horizon/usage/base.py#L117