[Openstack] Cleaning nova database

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Tue Mar 20 15:19:49 UTC 2012

In a diablo/kvm cluster that has been running for a long time, a user
reported problems with some vms, tried rebooting them and eventually
deleted them. I recently noticed messages in the nova compute log like:
Found 13 in the database and 10 on the hypervisor.

Looking at the source code I understand that this means the instances
have been deleted as far as the hypervisor is concerned, but nova still
thinks they are there.
I found the offending instances in the database and they were still
listed as in the active state even though they
had a deletion date recorded. I tried to delete them but was unable due
to a foreign key error with virtual_interfaces. I could play around with
deleting various things from the database but there are real users. Is
their a documented way to "clean up" the state of the nova database in
such situations? It seems like a bug that the database could get into
this state.

Also, it seems that deleted instances are never removed from the
database. Is that a bug?

  -David