[Openstack] create volume hangs at creating.

Clay Gerrard clay.gerrard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 18:50:49 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:52 AM, Milind <milindkpatil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for reply.
>
> When I ran following command
>
> tgtadm --lld iscsi --mode target --op show
>
> It hangs forever....

So I guess the command to create the export probably hangs too, and
the greenthread in nova-volume never joins... which is maybe why you
didn't get a traceback?

Sadly I've not seen that before from tgt.

But I guess it sounds like tgt isn't installed/setup properly.
There's a number of things you could check, maybe try and restart the
service and watch syslog for errors.

Jay makes a good suggestion, about running the commands manually -
some understanding of what the volume-manager does to provision
volumes and expose them via iscsi would help you understand where
things break down.

You could also try to install iscsitarget.  If your os has packages
it's pretty painless, but there is a dkms - just uninstall/purge tgt
first.  Then try setting nova-volume to use iet as the iscsi_helper in
your conf/flags.

Good Luck,

-clayg