[Openstack] Heat Version 4 Released

Ian Main imain at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 17:24:27 UTC 2012

The Heat developers are pleased to announce the release of the Heat API
version 4.  We have added many new features including Ubuntu Precise
host support.

Heat is a project designed to work with OpenStack that provides a
programmable interface to orchestrate multiple cloud applications
implementing CloudFormation.

To give it a spin on Fedora 17:

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/docs/GettingStarted.rst#readme

Or on Ubuntu 12.04:

https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Getting-Started-with-Heat-using-Master-on-Ubuntu

Enhancements in version 4:

+ Cloud Watch high availability.
  Heat monitors services and VMs and can restart them or send alarms
  on failure.  Also supported is escalation of service failure which can
  result in an instance restart.  This is similar to the AWS CloudWatch
  functionality.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Roadmap-Feature:-High-Availability

+ Authentication and identification.
  Heat now performs proper authentication on all API calls, identifying
  individual users, and creating stacks on a per-user basis.  Heat now
  also supports AWS style keys as well as keystone username/password or
  token authentication.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Roadmap-Feature:-Associate-users-with-templates-using-keystone

+ Nested stack support.
  Heat templates can now reference other templates enabling you to use
  them as building blocks to create larger deployments.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Roadmap-Feature:-Nested-stacks

+ IAM::User support.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Roadmap-Feature:-AWS-template-support-parity

+ API rework to align with AWS.
  This is part of an ongoing effort to conform to Amazons API and to
  move towards using boto as our client.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Heat-CLI-Boto-migration-&-API-rework

+ Ubuntu 12.04 host support and Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 guest support.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat/wiki/Roadmap-Feature:-Debian-Ubuntu-support

+ heat-jeos now a separate command.
  Heat JEOS image creation changed from 'heat jeos_create' to a separate
  repo and command called heat-jeos.
  https://github.com/heat-api/heat-jeos

+ Various manual pages added for heat commands.

+ Implemented describe stack resource commands.

Heat website:

http://heat-api.org/

Our mailing list: