[Openstack] RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 16:19:39 UTC 2012

On Jun 27, 2012, at 3:52 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> The following document presented for discussion is based on my
> experiance over the past few months getting involved with OpenStack
> Nova through learning the codebase, examining its history, writing
> code and participating in reviews. I want to stress, that I don't
> intend this is a criticism of any individuals. My desire is that
> this be taken as constructive feedback to help the project as a
> whole over the long term, since I believe OpenStack can benefit
> from stricter practices commonly followed in other mainstream
> opensource projects using GIT.

<snip>

Thank you for your detailed instructions and examples. I think we could
definitely could be more careful about keeping our history clean. My
general thoughts about commit messages has been that I want them to
to be concise and to the point and the details are in the  code itself. If
more information is needed then there are bug reports and review
discussions that are available.

Your points about offline browsing are well taken however, so I will
start including more details in my commit messages about the original
problem and rationale for the solution. I recommend everyone follow
suit.

Vish