[Openstack] Ceph as a NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ storage backend

Florian Haas florian at hastexo.com
Mon Jun 25 17:07:54 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM, Tommi Virtanen <tv at inktank.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Igor Laskovy <igor.laskovy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all from hot Kiev))
>>
>> Does anybody use Ceph as a backend storage for NOVA-INST-DIR/instances/ ?

Yes. http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2012/06/10/introducing-ceph-to-openstack/
Look at the "Live Migration with CephFS" part.

>> Is it in production use?

"Production use" would require CephFS to be production ready, which at
this point it isn't.

> Live migration is still possible?

Yes.

>> I kindly ask any advice of best practices point of view.
>
> That's the shared NFS mount style for storing images, right? While you
> could use the Ceph Distributed File System for that, there's a better
> answer (for both Nova and Glance): RBD.

... which sort of goes hand-in-hand with boot from volume, which was
just recently documented in the Nova admin guide, so you may want to
take a look: http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/boot-from-volume.html

That being said, volume attachment persistence across live migrations
hasn't always been stellar in Nova, and I'm not 100% sure how well
trunk currently deals with that.

Cheers,
Florian