[Openstack] XCP with DevStack

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Sat Jun 23 06:34:47 UTC 2012

On 06/01/2012 08:18 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I assume you are using xcp-xapi in Ubuntu. First of all, is it all running correctly (i.e. xe vm-list is returning correctly):
> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Using_XCP_-_preparing_the_toolstack
>
> It turns out the current DevStack will not work with this, but I have pushed some changes to support it:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7673/
>
> The networking configuration can be a little confusing, there is an overview on the wiki:
> http://wiki.openstack.org/XenServer/NetworkingFlags

IMO, the overview is far than enough. Having the relevant xe commands
that would do the setup in a nice tutorial is IMO mandatory for such
setup to be attractive.

> The DevStack flags are there to configure each of the VIFs on the DomU, the defaults can be seen here:
> https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/tools/xen/xenrc
>
> If things are still un clear, do ask some more questions.

I wrote it before, and I will write it again: a shell script is not, and
will never replace, a documentation. What you need to do is write enough
documentation so that an experienced admin can write his own script, not
the other way around! So please write a decent tutorial.

> I have plans to document this exact setup in some detail in the near future.
> Feel free to add to these docs on the wiki.

Please go ahead, I'd be happy to add some of it in the README.Debian for
XCP + Openstack.

Thomas