[Openstack] Performance metrics

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:06:09 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hp.com> wrote:

> TSO and GRO can cover a multitude of path-length sins :)

Along with a 64 MB TCP window ;)

> That is one of the reasons netperf does more than just bulk transfer :)
>  When I was/am measuring "scaling" of an SMP node I would use aggregate,
> burst-mode, single-byte netperf TCP_RR tests to maximize the packets per
> second while minimizing the actual bandwidth consumed.

Yeah, for a completely random workload pps is the limiting factor.
We're lucky in that our primary high bandwidth use case is wide area
data transfer where we can fill our jumbo packets. (kudos to the nova
folks on that count; we were completely able to configure jumbo frames
without having to hack anything up)

We were actually more thrilled to be able to build relatively fat
single streams, due to our workload.
 -nld