[Openstack] OpenStack ate my error message!

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at seas.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 18 14:54:11 UTC 2012

Working with OpenStack for the past few weeks I've noticed a tendency
for the tools to eat error messages in a way that makes problem
determination tricky.

For example:

Early on, there were some authentication issues in my configuration.
The error message presented by the command line tools was:

  ERROR: list indices must be integers, not str

It was only by trawling through the DEBUG logs that I was able to find
the actual traceback (which indicated that Keystone was returning a
503 error, I think, and not returning the JSON expected by the
client).

And more recently:

The error generated by nova-network not running was a series of
tracebacks in the nova-compute log:

- One for nova.rpc.impl_qpid
- Another for nova.compute.manager
- Another for nova.rpc.amqp

I saw these errors prior to my mailing list post, but it was difficult
to connect them to useful facts about our environment.

I'm not suggesting there's an easy fix to this.  Delivering error
messages correctly in this sort of asynchronous, RPC environment is
difficult.

Thanks for all the hard work,

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu>       |