[Openstack] File injection support

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 12 14:46:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> 4. Also for a loop device that is connected,
> I get a "failed" warning, but the EXIT_SUCCESS
> is appropriate in that case as the mapped device
> is present and usable
>   # kpartx -a /dev/loop0
>  /dev/mapper/loop0p1: mknod for loop0p1 failed: File exists
>
> That last item is related to the new code for auto parsing partitions.
>
> That's only available since kernel 3.2 I think so we'll have to
> be wary on relying on it.

Its worth noting that mounting untrusted filesystems from the host
is not really safe. See "Security of mounting filesystems" at
http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html .

The libguestfs path for this is safer.  So really we should be looking to
fix this issue by stronger recommendation or requirement on libguestfs.
Or some other non-kernel level filesystem modification.