[Openstack] Parallel execution of Jenkins gate jobs

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Wed Jun 6 17:27:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com> wrote:
> One important difference is that the new system does not have
> "retrigger" buttons in Jenkins.  If the gate tests fail with a false
> negative, you'll need to leave another "Approved" vote in Gerrit.

This part of your post didn't immediately register with me.

I have to say that with how unreliable some of the jobs are (which are
usually problems fetching packages), this change makes approvals a bit
more annoying.

For instance:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8133/

It failed with a transient failure in gate-nova-python27. No retrigger
function anymore, so reapprove. It now passes in gate-nova-python27 but
fails in gate-nova-python26 (which previously passed).

I understand the problem is with upstream usually, but combined with the
unreliability of upstream and the need to rerun *all* of the tests, it
increases the amount of baby sitting required.

That means more work for us core members. I'd really like to figure out
a way to reduce the amount of unnecessary work for us.

Possibly find out a way to cache packages to reduce the number of
failures we see, provide a way to retrigger individual jobs again or
perhaps something else.

JE