[Openstack] nova.projects table problems

Dan Prince dprince at redhat.com
Fri Jun 1 13:19:29 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Hi Micheal,

Yes. I think this is the same issue we fixed in 993663. The dns_domains was in a very bad state during the Essex release cycle because we essentially had a latin1 table with an fkey to a utf8 projects table. MySQL doesn't even allow you to do such a thing with a fresh schema (something I noticed when I did the database compaction for Folsom).

See the comments in this Folsom migration which should fix the issue:

  https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/db/sqlalchemy/migrate_repo/versions/096_recreate_dns_domains.py#L27

You could hotfix any existing systems by creating a SQL script to do something similar (drop and recreate the dns_domains table as UTF8 with a shorter 'domain' column.).

Also, I'm going to work up a patch so we can backport this to Essex without adding a new migration (something we typically don't do for stable releases). I hope to have this done soon.

Dan