[Openstack] Performing HPCC Benchmark on OpenStack Cloud

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Mon Jul 30 18:06:50 UTC 2012

I think for HPCC you will need a significant physical system deployment
using matched configurations.  Likely your concerns will be providing
specific hardware constratins where I/O is a factor that match with what
HPCC users would use.  IE 10 gig or infiniband in networking.  Lots of
ram.  Full system instances.  SSD?  At the very least fast disks.

When we've benchmarked openstack in the past against super computing units
one of the problems we ran into was that openstack was originally designed
to run on top of commodity hardware.  Which meant that out of the gate
there was already a severe handicap unless that was taken into account.
IE.  Cost comparison.  For x dollars you get x machines.  Unless that is
taken into account it exacerbates the issues at play.

I would also focus on ensuring that painpoints that exist in existing HPCC
are tested for against openstack and vice versa.  Example... hypervisors
introduce latency in memory allocations and cpu queries.  Example...
hypervisors make deploying new configurations to the cluster simple fast
and userfriendly.

Also make sure your work loads are diverse.  Map Reduce obviously lends
itself to cloud technologies.  While some other methods do not.  More to
the point existing software for super computing applications in many cases
have no immediate corollary outside of their own custom architectures.  The
diversity of options for users would be important data as well.

It would be nice to see a more formal methodology agreed to by HPCC users.
However, most HPCC users have such unique environments and demands that
that has not been much of a priority.

-Matt