[Openstack] Announcing proof-of-concept Load Balancing as a Service project

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 02:51:50 UTC 2012

On 24/07/12 18:33 -0700, Eugene Kirpichov wrote:
>Hello community,
>
>We at Mirantis have had a number of clients request functionality to
>control various load balancer devices (software and hardware) via an
>OpenStack API and horizon. So, in collaboration with Cisco OpenStack
>team and a number of other community members, we’ve started
>socializing the blueprints for an elastic load balancer API service.
>At this point we’d like to share where we are and would very much
>appreciate anyone participate and provide input.
>
>The current vision is to allow cloud tenants to request and
>provision virtual load balancers on demand and allow cloud
>administrators to manage a pool of available LB devices. Access is
>provided under a unified interface to different kinds of load
>balancers, both software and hardware. It means that API for tenants
>is abstracted away from the actual API of underlying hardware or
>software load balancers, and LBaaS effectively bridges this gap.
>
>POC level support for Cisco ACE and HAproxy is currently implemented
>in the form of plug-ins to LBaaS called “drivers”. We also started some
>work on F5 drivers. Would appreciate hearing input on what other
>drivers may be important at this point…nginx?
>
>Another question we have is if this should be a standalone module or a
>Quantum plugin… Dan – any feedback on this (and BTW congrats on the
>acquisition =).
>
>In order not to reinvent the wheel, we decided to base our API on
>Atlas-LB (http://wiki.openstack.org/Atlas-LB).
>
>Here are all the pointers:
> * Project overview: http://goo.gl/vZdei
> * Screencast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgAL-kfdbtE
> * API draft: http://goo.gl/gFcWT
> * Roadmap: http://goo.gl/EZAhf
> * Github repo: https://github.com/Mirantis/openstack-lbaas
>
>The code is written in Python and based on the OpenStack service
>template. We’ll be happy to give a walkthrough over what we have to
>anyone who may be interested in contributing (for example, creating a
>driver to support a particular LB device).

I made a really simple loadbancer (using HAproxy) in Heat
(https://github.com/heat-api/heat/blob/master/heat/engine/loadbalancer.py)
to implement the AWS::ElasticLoadBalancing::LoadBalancer but
it would be nice to use a more complete loadbancer solution.
When I get a moment I'll see if I can integrate. One issue is
I need latency statistics to trigger autoscaling events.
See the statistics types here:
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/ElasticLoadBalancing/latest/DeveloperGuide/US_MonitoringLoadBalancerWithCW.html

Anyways, nice project.

Regards