[Openstack] Incremental Backup of Instances

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software.at
Tue Jul 24 06:21:14 UTC 2012

You could solve something like this with bacula incremental backups, I'm
doing this (but not with openstack) like this:
make an lvm snapshot (or qcow2 snapshot) of the instance, write a script
that mounts the filesystem and let bacula back it up (incrementally).
bacula can do the actual snapshotting and mounting, so you don't need to
coordinate when to create a snapshot and so on. this works very well,
but is hard to configure, too. to restore the machine, one creates a lv
in my case and restores the whole filesystem there. This works very well
for linux vms, might be harder with windows vms.

Wolfgang

On 07/23/2012 05:22 AM, Kobagana Kumar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am working on *Delta Changes *of an instance. Can you please tell me
>
> The procedure to take *Incremental Backups (Delta Changes) *of VMs,
>
> instead of taking the snapshot of entire instance.
>
> And also please tell me how to apply those delta changes to instance.
>
> *Thanks & Regards,***
>
> *Bharath Kumar Kobagana*
>
> DISCLAIMER ========== This e-mail may contain privileged and
> confidential information which is the property of Persistent Systems
> Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
> which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this
> message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify
> the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems
> Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

DI (FH) Wolfgang Hennerbichler
Software Development
Unit Advanced Computing Technologies
RISC Software GmbH
A company of the Johannes Kepler University Linz

IT-Center
Softwarepark 35
4232 Hagenberg
Austria