[Openstack] Solaris Fails as Guest VM

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:48:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Michael March <mmarch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't follow Solaris that closely but I vaguely remember the Joyent folks
> ported all of KVM to Solaris, right?  Or am I just missing the whole point
> here?

They did, and it is a fairly impressive piece of work. Their focus (as
a hosting provider) was running kvm virtual machines in a illumos
host. That support is completely separate from the guest drivers to
make virtio work for block and network devices. afaict, network device
support is complete, but block device support isn't finished yet. This
means you can't run illumos/solaris as a guest using kvm with virtio.
 -nld