[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 09:23:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:57 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Monty Taylor wrote:
> > However, with a versioned library model, the projects can consume things
> > pinned to specific versions, and then they can submit a change that
> > updates the version depend and the code which needs to be updated to
> > support the version change, and that change can be atomic.
> >
> > So honestly, I'd say the real key is getting us closer to the point
> > where openstack-common is a proper library, because all of the rest of
> > the complexity is stuff we're inventing to make life harder on
> > ourselves, when the standard library with api-contract and a version
> > model of the world works pretty fine without needing coordinated changes
> > across multiple repositories.
>
> Yes, that's the end goal. And IMHO we are not very far away. I think the
> main reason we are not there yet is that while a lot of people enjoy
> giving their opinions about how openstack-common should be done and
> consumed by projects, not so many people follow up and actually do the work.

This is true :)

> Making our multiple projects converge onto consolidated and
> well-accepted APIs is a bit painful work, but it is a prerequisite to
> turning openstack-common into a proper library (or set of libraries).
>
> I'd say the whole thing suffers from not having a proper
> team/leader/coordinator dedicated to it: relying on existing,
> overstretched PTLs to lead that effort might not be the fastest path.

While I was on vacation, I read in the weekly newsletter:

  "It developed into a request for leadership for openstack-common"

and was like "WTF do you call the work that e.g. I, Jason, Russell and
Doug have been doing?"

But I see your point is a little different - you feel there should be an
elected/appointed "PTL without a PPB vote" or whatever to represent the
project. I guess that could help clarify things since it's what folks
are used to with other projects.

It would be a heavy crown, but I guess one of us would be fine with
wearing it :-)

Honestly, I think we would have done this before now if it wasn't going
to inevitably involve everyone getting their knickers in a twist about
whether the openstack-common PTL should have a vote. Meh.

Cheers,
Mark.