[Openstack] Identity API v3 - Why allow multi-tenant users?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Jul 18 06:24:42 UTC 2012

I thought that the v3 API supports domains as a group of tenants which would make the question rather different.

Thus, I guess the question is

A.      Should there be users in multiple tenants in a single domain ?

B.      Should there be users in multiple domains ?

There are clear use cases for A (such as researchers working on multiple projects sharing project quotas)

For B, it is less clear as if I am a domain administrator, I do not want to be told that I cannot allocate user X since another domain has already taken it. On the other hand, there is a clear architectural benefit from having the concept of identity (and authentication) split off from roles and projects.

Tim