[Openstack] One question on the compute_filter

Jiang, Yunhong yunhong.jiang at intel.com
Mon Jul 16 14:00:44 UTC 2012

Hi, Joseph
         I'm working on the patch for blueprints https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/update-flavor-key-value, to add/delete the extra_specs for flavor through nova-manage. I'm still setting up my environment to push the patch.

         However, when I was testing my patch, I noticed that compute_filter assume it will handle all of the "extra_specs". If it can't find corresponding key in the capabilities, it will fail to pass the host. IMHO, this is a bit overkill. For example, currently the trusted_filter.py will use the extra_specs to check if trusted_host is required, that means compute filter and trusted filter can't be used at the same time.
         I think compute filter should define explicitly all keys that it takes care, like cpu_info, cpu_arch, xpu_arch, and only check the corresponding extra_specs key/value pair? After all, extra_specs is not compute_extra_specs?
         I noticed the patch in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8089/, but seems this patch will not fix this issue still.

Any idea or suggestion? I'm glad to create patch if any conclusion on this issue.

Thanks
--jyh