[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Michael Basnight mbasnight at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 22:36:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM, George Reese
<george.reese at enstratus.com> wrote:
> I don't think Cinder should exist.
>
> Sometimes you have to live with the technical debt because that's the best
> way to preserve the investment your customers have made in your product.
>
> Or if you're very smart, you find a way to refactor that technical debt
> invisibly to customers.
>
> But you don't make the customer carry the burden of your refactoring
> technical debt.

I hate to fan the fire, but what would happened in cassandra if they
_never_ updated their data structures. Or hadoop, or any other open
source project like that. I understand where you are coming from, but
i would like to find an example of a project thats _never_ updated
their datastore or caused some sort of migration, be it configuration
or data based. I _do_ feel we should roll this migration in the least
painful way possible though.