[Openstack] [keystone] Rate limit middleware

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Wed Jul 11 17:23:08 UTC 2012

More info on the Repose rate limiter here:

http://wiki.openrepose.org/display/REPOSE/Rate+Limiting+Filter

The rate limiter has the concept of limit groups -- you can specify rate limits for a particular group -- then introspect the request to see which group applies.  Typically a user can be placed in a particular group etc.  When rate limiting keystone, you might want to rate limit authentication attempts.  The issue there is that the user has not gone through an auth process so you can't necessarily ID the user. We use the concept of quality, where different middle ware components take a guess about what limit group to use.  This allows the rate limiter to rate limit by say IP address, data in the URI, or the content of the message etc.

See:  http://wiki.openrepose.org/display/REPOSE/Header+Value+Quality
And:   http://wiki.openrepose.org/display/REPOSE/Identity+Filters

Sorry, our docs are a little sparse.

-jOrGe W.